Friday 3 April 2015

Crux

My theme for this year's A to Z Challenge is A Reader's Take, where everyday I will be picking out a novel title corresponding to that day's letter and write my post based on it. To make it more challenging, I have decided to write a serial story. The novel I have selected for today is 'Crux'

Chapter 3

(Read the previous chapter here)

“Where do you think you are going Kayra?” Ayaan's voice reached her from downstairs even before he reached her room. She knew what was coming and she braced herself for the confrontation. Within seconds, Ayaan was up in her room. One look at her packed bags and he lost his temper. “Care to explain?” he spat out the words at her. His fists were balled and he had crossed them tight, as if he was afraid of hitting something. The image of Ayaan like that made her shudder. But this wasn't the moment to lose composure. She was prepared, wasn't she?

“I am moving to Bangalore” she replied as coolly as she could. She hoped Ayaan didn't notice the slight tremor in her voice. Her nonchalance aggravated him more. “Aunty told me that much. But why are you leaving all of a sudden?” She knew he wouldn't understand. How would he when she was hiding the truth from him. It would be easy, seeking his help but Kayra didn't wish to take that path. So, she said what she had been rehearsing from a long time – “Ayaan, I have dreams of my own and I want to fulfill them. I want to start a new life where I can do things without you or mom looking out for me always. I want to be on my own. Is it too much to ask for?”

Kayra wasn't sure how she managed to say it all. She had been scared that she would break down any moment and Ayaan would see right through her but nothing of that sort happened. But what she hadn't expected was Ayaan's next words. “I thought you knew I loved you Kayra” She had prepared for his anger but not for this. Yes, she had known it all along and that is what made it difficult for her to confess the truth. His pained face and his feeble voice almost broke her resolve but then, she said what she didn't know she was capable of. “The crux of the matter is not that you love me Ayaan; but it is that I have a life of my own and I want to live it my way!”



To be continued...

About today's novel: Crux is a novel by Juliee Reece. She should have run. Now, she'll have to fight. Eighteen year old Birdie may be homeless, but she's surviving, that is until a mysterious guy throws money in the air like a crazy game show host and she grabs some with the idea she'll be able to buy dinner that night. In that singular moment, unassuming Birdie becomes the girl in everyone's viewfinder. Thugs want to kill her. Money-guy wants to recruit her. The very hot, very rich and very out of her league Grey Mathews wants to save her. Birdie, though, wants nothing to do with any of them until she realizes fate didn't bring them all together. Her heritage did. Now, with only twenty-one days left, she's got to decide whether to follow in the footsteps of those before her or risk her life for people she's only just met.

PS: Linking this post to A to Z Challenge 2015. If you are participating too, please leave a link to your blog in the comments, so that I can visit you :)


Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

82 comments:

  1. I love the way the story is moving....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! What is she hiding from Ayaan and what's the hurry to leave. Waiting for the next part, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! another suspense and now its getting serious :O
    What is she hiding from Ayaan and why she has to sacrifice her love...waiting eagerly for more surprises :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What!! She is leaving but why?? Please don't let her!Caged

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your storywriting is perfecgt, The interest of the reader is maintained . Looking forward for the next portion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ma'am :) Do come back to read more :)

      Delete
  6. Now that I know her decision, I am curious about the reason behind it. You are doing a fab job, Swathi :)
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating, I love where this is going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the theme..I wanted to do something similar but I couldn't make up for several letters. I love it now. So excited to see what's next. :)
    http://bluesomeheart.blogspot.in/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too haven't made up for several letters yet but hoping it will be done in the mean time :)
      Thank you so much Namrata :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  9. Loved it Swathi! I am more and more hooked to this story and I really want to know what's cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved it Parul :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  10. The story is getting interesting.. coming back for more

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plot gets interesting. I wonder what Kayra is actually hiding from Ayaan. Maybe she is suffering from terminal disease (Ok, I need to seriously reduce my Bollywood drama). Keep it coming Swathi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol :D No!!! No terminal disease, I assure you :P

      Delete
  12. The plot thickens ! Excellent narration. Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eloquent Mind :) Keep Visiting :)

      Delete
  13. The plot is moving ahead at a furious pace. Can't wait to find out what Kayra wants to hide from Ayan :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the first time im dropping into your blog and I think is episode is lively. Waiting to see what unfolds. All the best!

    Do drop into www.malavikka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Welcome to my space Malavikka :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  15. I like the pace...it's neither too fast nor too slow, It kind of lets you see into the protagonists' character and want to help them...just the way a story should be. kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Thank you so much titli :) That made my day :)

      Delete
  16. This is getting better and better everyday. Wonder why she is leaving ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy your take on the book's titles and the ongoing story too. Happy to be here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am so happy to listen that you are happy to be here :)

      Delete
  18. You should seriously consider turning this into a book, Swathi. I'm liking Kayra more and more :) Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think so ;) Ah, I am on cloud nine :D Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  19. Gripping! Its not fair to leave us like this again!! Tell us more :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe :D Thank you Vidya :) More to follow soon ;)

      Delete
  20. It is great! I do hope you'll turn this into a book, Swathi. I love your theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vidya :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  21. Awesome idea for a theme! And I too want to know the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is getting better each day...can't wait to read the next instalment. I feel like I'm watching a TV series and it ends at just the right time but it drives me nuts that I have to wait! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it makes me so happy to hear it is going that well sanch :) Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  23. what a great theme! I have to go back and read the previous posts now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read them and let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  24. Loved this Swathi Waiting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eagerly waiting for the next part, I'm smelling more twists and turns in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thrill you have created amongst your readers..!! Waiting for the next chapter

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your A to Z challenge is actually a two-in-one ... As much as the story is gripping .. these little titbits with novels with the same title is good to know information. Keep it going ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayanthi :) Glad you find the story gripping :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  28. I didn't get the theme immediately but now I followed :) story moving along fine. waiting for chapter D.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Swathu! Aha a novella. Love the way u interpreted a story. It's not just about love but what each other seek in life and many of us forget that we have a life. It matters more than anything. Love the last line. A brilliant chapter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Vishal :) Thank you so much :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  30. Great theme! I love your word today too: Crux: such an under-utilized word! Wonderful story. I'll look forward to reading the next chapter.
    Happy A-Zing
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this theme Swathi... getting reader on the edge. well done

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderfully penned. I simply loved the narration. Keep it up!

    Do drop by my blog - http://blog.shinekapoor.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shine :) Will definitely visit your blog :)

      Delete
  33. I couldn't read this yesterday, so hoping over to the next part now. :) can't wait, Swathi. You are good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vinitha :) Hope you will like the next chapters too :)

      Delete
  34. Hmmm, I m getting curious now.. Why she is leaving .. Love how she stands up for herself and hope she follows her dream and passion and leaving for some good reason . I am tuned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is more to her leaving than that Eli ;) Keep reading to know more :D

      Delete
  35. I am wondering about what Kayra is going through ... off to read the next part

    ReplyDelete
  36. Obviously there's a more serious reason why she's leaving. Nicely done with the suspense factor. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  37. She has a valid point to leave...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sometimes distance is inevitable, but it may also make the bond stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The advantage of not having visited your blog all this while is that I dont have to wait for the next day for the next part of the story .. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D reading it in one go haan ;) Happy reading Prathima ;)

      Delete
  40. Always keeping us on the edge, aren't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I like when ppl come back for more. So I had to do it :D

      Delete
  41. I feel sorry for Ayaan!! Poor guy doesn't seem to have any idea what's going on! Or does he?

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)